About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese


Can macaroni and cheese get any better? Sure it can. You can home make it, bake it, get a nice crust on. But it gets better. Buffalo chicken mac and cheese. Say what? Oh, yes, I totally just said that. Let me answer your questions up front:
Is it the cheesiest thing since cheese? Yes.
Is it full of all the best buffalo chicken mac and cheese flavours? Oh Yes.
Is it a little labour intensive? Kind of.
Is it totally worth it? YES.
I found this recipe over at one of my favourite food blogs, How Sweet It Is. Can I just say that the author, Jessica, is like, a food genius? She has amazing recipes -- ones that I will be producing in my kitchen for a long time coming. I love her photos (mine is not as pretty as hers), I love her voice, and I love the long list of awesome recipes.
Anyway, I'm sitting here with a half portion of the mac in my fridge right now, wondering if Rich or I will get to eat it. But you guys come first. I'll abstain so that you can share in the glory.

Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into cubes
1 pack whole wheat shells (we found organic whole wheat shells at our grocery for a great price!)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika (I used Hungarian paprika)
1 cup Buffalo Wing sauce
2 tbsp flour
2 1/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
6 oz fresh shredded fontina cheese
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan

Directions
Cook pasta according to directions. When done, drained and set aside.
To a medium to large sized pot (I used a 1 litre pot, so not terribly huge), add olive oil and 2 tbsp butter.
Heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
Season chicken and add to pot. Cook through and brown slightly. Add half of the wing sauce, toss to coat, and set chicken aside, leaving the liquid in the pot.
Add remaining two tbsp of butter and melt. Add flour and stir until thickened.
Add milk and stir until it thickens a bit.
Lower heat and add dijon mustard and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
Stir together pasta, chicken, remaining wing sauce, and cheese sauce and serve.

Notes:
You may notice Jessica added green onions and cilantro to hers. I didn't, partially because Rich doesn't care for either of them (he thinks cilantro taste like soap), and partially because I forgot to buy the onions.
I also changed out the gorgonzola for mozzarella cheese. I haven't really liked gorgonzola the times I've had it, so I switched it out. I think most cheeses would probably work for this recipe.
Last note: Make this. Make it now. Make it every day, and bask in its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment