About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Vegetable Stir Fry with Imitation Crab


Momma Brayton got us a very nice hand-hammered wok for Christmas. It's been sitting on top of our shelf-pantry since then, and I occasionally looked at it and sighed with the dreams of an amazing wok-cooked dinner. And I planned.
And here it is. I finally seasoned the bloody wok and made this spectacular stir fry. This meal has actually lasted multiple days. I usually plate big and then the leftovers get placed in a container.
Anyway, I made the sauce for this mostly by just dumping stuff in, so there are no real measurements. It's "to taste," really!

Ingredients:
Stir fry (not sauce)
Button mushrooms, cleaned (These were sold in our supermarket in very small packs, so I got three. You can use larger mushrooms, but quarter them)
Baby carrots, about one half of a package (You can cut these if you wish -- I left them whole)
1 can baby corn, drained
Sticky Asian rice
Chopped fresh garlic -  2 medium cloves
Corn oil (or other oil)

Sauce
Honey
Low sodium soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Iron Chef General Tso sauce and glaze
House of Tsang Szechuan spicy stir-fry sauce
Sesame seeds

Crab
One package imitation crab meat
1 good-sized knob of unsalted butter
Sesame seeds

Directions:
Follow rice package instructions to make rice. Use a rice cooker if possible. Begin cooking rice before starting stir fry.
Add enough oil to wok to cover bottom. Bring heat up to medium-high. When oil is hot, add garlic.
Add carrots, turning heat down slightly. Carefully add small amount of water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire, and stir constantly for two minutes. Allow liquids to steam carrots on medium/medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, melt butter in large pan and add crab. Pan fry at medium-low heat, tossing occasionally.
When carrots are sufficiently steamed, add baby corn and mushrooms. Add a very small amount of water, more soy. Steam, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Add sauce ingredients to discretion, saving sesame seeds until last. Stir thoroughly and very often.
Serve immediately, adding remainder of sauce to the top of the dish.

Notes:
Imitation crab is entirely optional to this dish. You can substitute anything else.
More or different vegetables can be added to this dish, as long as you adjust for their cooking. For example, cooking time will be reduced if you omit carrots or cut them.
Some other vegetables you might want to add include: peppers, water chestnuts, bok choy, or onions.
My sauce had a nice sweet and spicy flavour that didn't detract from the natural flavours of the vegetables. Adjust your sauce as desired.

If you have any comments or questions about this recipe, feel free to leave them below. Don't forget to follow this blog to keep updated on all the delicious things happening in my kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe was new to me, I want to taste this because I think it was really delicious. Thanks for sharing it here and I hope that you will share a lot of recipe like stir fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete