About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Grilled Salmon Burger with Marinated and Grilled Summer Squash


I know I don't normally post the photos this big, but look at that beauty. So beautiful. So delicious. So... summer.
Yes. I made this last summer, and it just never made its way here.
It was really just an experiment. We ended up with salmon burgers because they were on sale. I generally never end up with fish, especially in the summer, because I'm too busy grilling up hunks of land animal (mostly beef) to care about water dwelling creatures. Nonetheless, we ended up with these salmon burgers, and it was my task to figure out what to do with them.
Since it was summer, my thought went to summer squash: both of the zucchini and yellow variety. In the end, I decided to use them kind of like pickles on the sandwich.
The problem with summer squash is that they can really dry up on the grill if you're not careful, so I marinated them with this fantastic balsamic glaze from Market District. I gave them a ten minute soak in the glaze to let them pull the deliciousness in and then set them on the part of the grill not *quite* over the bars. They turned out amazing.

Ingredients:
Salmon burgers
Sandwich buns of choice
Bibb lettuce (or whatever not-Iceberg you prefer)
1 yellow squash, cut in thin rounds
1 zucchini squash, cut in thin rounds
Market District balsamic glaze (or equivalent)

Directions:
Grease grill to prevent sticking. Heat to medium heat.
Cook salmon burgers, ensuring they are fully cooked before removing from grill.
As burgers cook, soak squash in glaze, making sure they are fully coated.
Five minutes before burgers are done, place squash on place on grill not directly over heat. Cook for five minutes, or until they are tender.
Assemble sandwich and drizzle top with more glaze.

Notes:
Admittedly, these could have benefitted from some nice, creamy slices of avocado, but I didn't think of it at the time.
These would be really good served with a light salad, a grilled veggie kebab, or some homemade french fries or chips. Explore the possibilities of flavour!

No comments:

Post a Comment