About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Fake doesn't have to mean boring! Imitation crab with seasoned carrots and seasoned rice.


Another beautiful photo. Love it.
Tell me; when you think of imitation crab, what do you think? Stir fry? Rangoon? A cold salad laden with mayo?
Poo on that, I say! Poo!
I decided we would approach out fake crab with a little more flair! And it's a good thing -- it was so delicious, I can't wait to do it again.

Ingredients:
1 package imitation crab
2 or 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
long grain rice
1 lime
sesame seeds
sumac
slivered almonds
cumin
coriander
honey
salt
black pepper

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a skillet to medium heat. Add imitation crab, salt and pepper. Cook to allow some browning on the crab. Finish crab with some butter and sesame seeds.
In a small pot, add a cup of water, the carrots, and the juice of half the lime. Heat over medium heat until carrots are tender. When cooked, drain water. Add juice of remaining half of lime, almonds, cumin, coriander, honey, salt and pepper to taste.
Cook rice according to package instructions. When fully cooked, stir in sumac.

Notes:
Honestly, I didn't even measure out the spices. I just sort of added it and tasted and adjusted and found the best mix that way.
The sumac has a very nice citrusy flavour, but try not to add too much -- it can be fairly overpowering.
Finishing the crab with butter helps to give the crab an extra punch, so don't overlook this step!

No comments:

Post a Comment