About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Friday, May 2, 2014

Grass-fed Sirloin with Veggies in a Teriyaki "Broth"


What looks better than a perfectly cooked, medium rare hunk of beef? NOTHING. That's what.
Anyway, I spend a lot of time looking for new recipes to explore, learn, tweak, and try. Playing with new flavours is so exciting.
Also, can you believe that this recipe holds about 500 calories per serving? No joke! And the low-cal count doesn't come with a sacrifice of flavour -- the "broth" is bold, the steak is rich, and the sweet potatoes ensure you end up pleasantly full!

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds of sirloin steak
8 tbsp teriyaki sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
5 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
ground black pepper
olive oil
4 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
5 cups water
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin rounds
1/2 sweet onion
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin rounds
1 handful snap peas
toasted sesame oil

Directions:
Mix 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce, 2 tbsp soy, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp black pepper in bowl. Soak steak in sauce for a few minutes each side.
Heat pan to medium-high heat.
Cook steak for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Rest for five minutes on a cutting board before slicing.
Meanwhile, combine 6 tbsp teriyaki sauce, 2 tbsp soy, 4 tsp ginger, 4 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and the water in a saucepan and set to simmer. Add onions, potatoes, and carrots and cook, covered, until vegetables are tender. Add peas, cook for five minutes.
Serve in bowls, drizzle toasted sesame oil on finished dish.

Notes:
I adapted this recipe from one on the Food Network's website, here, namely because my potatoes were larger than the ones indicated in the recipe, so I just ended up making more broth. I am also not fond of oyster sauce, so I used soy instead.
This dish is originally written for two diners, but it can be very easily scaled up for family dinners!
Although I consider medium-rare to be the optimum temperature, I am well aware this preference isn't universal. Be sure to cook the beef a little longer on each side to your preferred doneness. In the interest of the flavour provided by the beef, I would recommend not going much past medium.
Rich and I bought grass-fed beef for our sirloin, and it was positively delicious, if a little more expensive. If you can, I recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment