About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Dark Chocolate and Spearmint Cookie Crisps


Do I have your attention, yet? Good.
These crisps are absolutely amazing. Light. Crunchy. Bursting with chocolatey flavour, with a hint of mint at the end. Positively divine.
I've been wanting to bake something for a while (as I regularly get urges to produce baked goods), and as I was looking around for ideas, I stumbled upon the recipe for these at Heather's French Press. What a cute idea -- making cookies that are crispy instead of gooey. Not a novel idea by any means, as there are those little 100 calorie cookie crisp packs in the store for people who both want junk food and have commitment issues. But when when you think, "I want to make cookies," you rarely think of anything but gooey, chaotic deliciousness, right? Well, stop right there, because when you make these, your whole idea of cookies will be turned on its head!

I'm going to write down her recipe here, but it's totally hers, so go check out her blog, too. She has tons of tasty things going on over there!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
3-4 drops Aftelier Chef's Essences No. 2 Spearmint extract

Directions:
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add egg, vanilla, salt, then flour and cocoa.
Pull dough together and flatten out in bowl. Add spearmint extract drops in a few places on dough surface and work it into the dough by hand.
Cover dough and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Roll portions of dough onto cocoa-dusted surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.
Cut cookies out of dough, place on non-stick cookie sheet, and bake for about 9-10 minutes.
Allow to cool on cookie sheet completely before transferring.

Notes:
The addition of spearmint extract is my idea. I bought the extract on sale from William Sonoma a couple of months ago, and I've been looking for a way to use it. We all know that dark chocolate and mint go super well together.
That said, this extract is very strong, so you only need a couple of drops to flavour the dough. Also, the addition of just a few drops keeps the mint flavour at the end of tasting the cookie, so you get rich dark chocolatey deliciousness when you bite in, and it finishes with calming mint. It's as sexy as it sounds.
Chilling the dough is imperative, as it ensures that you'll be able to work with the dough to roll it out and cut it without it falling apart. Do not skip this step!
As Heather mentions, any sort of cutting device will work to cut the cookies out of the rolled out dough. Like her, I used a glass (because I don't actually have any cookie cutters), but you can use whatever you have on hand, really. You can even cut them with a knife to make extra-dunkable rectangles.
I got about thirty cookies out of this recipe, which is plenty for me and Richard, but if you are, say, feeding a family with these cookies, you might want to consider doubling up, as they go fast. Rich ate five last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment