About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Friday, February 6, 2015

Shepherd's Pie Soup



So, I've never eaten shepherd's pie. Ever. It was one of those things that got auto-banned from the house because it contained things my brother wouldn't it. Wanna guess what parts? All of it.
Anyway, I was always kind of weirded out by shepherd's pie, because who puts mashed potatoes on top of stuff and calls it a pie? Weirdos, that's who. And maybe shepherds?
I birthed this recipe out of a weird desire to eat ground beef in a soup, but I didn't want to make cheeseburger soup because that doesn't really appeal to me. So I thought of some things that I would like in there, and by the time I stopped adding things to the pot, I decided it looked a lot like a shepherd's pie, although it definitely is not anywhere near.
Hearty, flavourful, and full of things that are great for you, this soup is great for colder days when you just want to stay inside and cuddle up in a blanket.

Ingredients:
3/4 pounds ground beef
2 or 3 medium to large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 package mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
2 medium turnips, peeled and cut small
1 cup frozen peas
1 to 1/2 cups kale, cut small
4 cups beef stock
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Add a small amount of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add beef and cook until browned. (You may drain some of the grease at this point, but leave some in for the flavour.)
Add carrots, turnips, and stock. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil, turn down, cover, and simmer until the carrots and turnips are just tender.
Add peas and mushrooms and simmer for another five to ten minutes.
Stir in kale and simmer until wilted.

Notes:
I like to add Worcestershire sauce when the beef is browning; just enough to make a layer on the bottom of the pot, and then I simmer the beef in that for a few minutes. It adds a depth of flavour that I absolutely love.

No comments:

Post a Comment