About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Butter Poached Lobster Tail with Marzano Tomatoes and Wilted Spinach and Basil


Wow, lobster is expensive. I mean, I've always known that, I guess, but I've never purchased lobster or pieces of one. And I bought two tails to make dinner for Rich and myself and holy cow, I paid $14USD for so little biomass. Crazy.
Anyway, I got the idea for this dish from Jaden over at Steamy Kitchen, here. And mine isn't photographed nearly as nicely as hers, but it was super delicious and I've never cooked lobster before, so I'm proud of my dish.
One difference I made is that I used marzano tomatoes, whereas she used a combination of yellow and a different red tomato.
Here's the thing: I hate tomatoes. I hate the juice. I hate the flavour. I hate everything about them. Except ketchup. Mmmm...
Here's the other thing: I loved these marzanos. At least, I loved them in the dish. I doubt I'm going to go popping the rest in my mouth all willy nilly. But man, did they shine in this dish.
Also, they're expensive, too.
Anyway, this dish is pretty simple as long as you can master poaching in butter, which is actually harder than it sounds, if only because it requires more patience than I normally have.
That said, digging deep for that extra patience was totally worth it.

Ingredients:
2 lobster tails
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 tbsp chunks
9-12 marzano tomatoes, cut into small pieces
6-7 baby spinach leaves, cut into large pieces
4 Basil leaves
Fresh ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:
Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut tail along the top and bottom and gently remove the meat. Set aside.
Heat the water in a medium pot over medium-low heat until just simmering. Add butter chunks one at a time, stirring with a whisk until completely melted.
Add the lobster tails and poach for 5-10 minutes, turning every minute or so (mine took a little longer than the five minutes Jaden recommends).
When fully cooked, remove lobster into a bowl. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes to butter in the pot.
Cook tomatoes until soft, just a few minutes. Add spinach and basil and cook until wilted, under a minute. Add tomatoes, spinach and basil to bowls and pour a small amount of butter mixture over the dish. Top with small amount fresh ground black pepper.

Notes:
The tomatoes should be cut to sizes large enough to be considered "bite size." Don't cut them too small!
This can be done with a whole lobster, too, if you're willing to go through the process of killing/cooking one and getting all the meat out. Jaden has some excellent notes for that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment