About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Loaded Sweet Potato Rounds


Can I just say that I love these? Like a lot. Like, I wish I had some right now as I'm writing this. They are so refreshing. So delicious. And they were a perfect accompaniment to my butter poached lobster tails. Rich and I were fighting over these.
I urge you to make them. ASAP.
I got the inspiration for these from Sonja and Alex over at A Couple Cooks. They have some really great recipes, so I suggest you check them out.
Anyway, you'll notice that my potatoes look nothing like theirs. That's because I really hate sour cream. And I love avocados and am always looking for reasons to go buy an avocado and devour one.
Basically, I followed their recipe up until the toppings part.
That's a lie. I had one major difference.

Whilst slicing the potatoes on my mandolin slicer, I also sliced off a portion of my fingertip. Ouch! There was tons of blood everywhere (thankfully not on the potatoes), and I had to go to the emergency clinic because the bleeding wouldn't stop. At the clinic, they still couldn't stop the bleeding, and so they just cleaned it out with about 500mL or so of isopropanol and by smashing it into a tub of warm soapy water (also ouch). Then they put three cubes of surgical foam on it and taped it down and told me let it heal completely before I get it wet, either via showerbathing or dishes or what-have-you. So that means Rich is stuck doing all our dishes for the duration of my injury, which doctors estimate will be about a month or whatever.
I lost so much blood that I was dizzy by the time they got it bandaged. They had to give me a Dr. Pepper to get my blood sugar levels up enough to move again.
This is what it looks like under the gauze. I actually partially bled through the surgical foam, too. I'm not supposed to remove that tape until a scab forms and the foam is no longer attached to my body and keeping my lifeblood inside my finger.

Anyway, back to potatoes.
So I had Rich help me with the rest of the prep. Thank goodness he's so keen on helping with meals.

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
4-5 marzano tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1-2 avocados, seed removed, flesh removed into a bowl and pressed into guacamole
Fresh grated Parmesan

Directions:
Preheat over to 450F
Slice potatoes into 1.4 inch rounds (not cutting yourself like me). Put rounds into a large bowl.
Add oil and seasonings and toss to coat.
Place rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for ten minutes, flip all rounds, and bake another ten minutes, until soft.
Remove from oven, grate parmesan over each round, and allow to cool slightly before adding toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment