About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Lime Crema


So, I did this waaay back in May for Cinco de Mayo. What's that? Cinco de Mayo was just last month? Oh. Well, so many things have been going on that I'm losing track of time!
So, anyway, Cinco de Mayo. As some of my readers know, I'm half Guatemalan, courtesy of my father, and although I am aware the holiday is a Mexican one, it gives me a super lame excuse to make pseudo-Spanish-esque food. Wow, that's a lot of clauses. Anyway, you may remember that last year, I made taco bowls with beef and chicken as the protein. This year, I wanted to try something totally different. Enter the cauliflower taco.
I'm really digging cauliflower lately. You may recall that I never used to like it. Now I love it. We keep it in the house at all times now. And I'm super happy about that.
I found the recipe here, at Two Peas and Their Pod, and I was blown away by how good it looked. I decided that this would be our Cinco de Mayo dinner. And man, am I glad that this is what I chose to make. The flavours work so well together, and the meal itself isn't too heavy so that you feel like regret when you're done.
As a note, I didn't include chickpeas when I made this, mostly because I don't like them at all and hate their texture, too. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Ingredients:
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp water
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
tortillas (I used flour tortillas)
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 jalepeƱo, seeded and chopped
1 avocado, seed removed and sliced thin

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Combine spices, oil, and water in a bowl. Toss cauliflower in seasoning until well coated.
Place cauliflower on a greased baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes until tender. Allow cauliflower to cool slightly before transferring to a bowl (for serving).

To Make Lime Crema:
Combine 1 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1/8 cup fresh lime juice and 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Notes:
One main thing I want to note is that the crema is AWESOME. Like crazy awesome. Like, I don't like Greek yogurt and I loved this crema so much. It's so delicious, so bold. It would go great on a lot of things. Most notably salads. I suggest you make it, even if you don't make these tacos.
I also made blackberry margaritas with this dish, using half the recommended amount of liquor for them, because I'm a pansy and I don't like to drink a lot.

I was pretty excited about these. After I finished making them and tried them, I exclaimed to the apartment, "Tequila is my lady!" (bonus points if you know that reference without looking it up)
Guess what?
Tequila is not my lady.
After drinking the margarita and barely being tippy and having two glasses of water before bed, I woke up as if I hadn't slept in weeks, nauseous, and achy all over my body.
At least the drink was good.



No comments:

Post a Comment