About This Blog

I like food. A lot. In this blog, I will divulge all my delicious recipes, giving you a full list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and notes to help you successfully make the dish. Feel free to try these at home, and let me know how it went in the comments for the dish! If you have any questions, I will answer them as quickly as possible. If you use my recipe and discuss it on your site, please link back to this blog. Happy eating!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cauliflower "Couscous" with Spiced Veggies and Wilted Spinach, Topped with Spiced Shrimp



Wow. What a title.
So, I made this a little while back, and it is the result of having an amount of cauliflower that is too much for a side and too little to build something like tacos or the penne dish with.
I had become intrigued with this idea of turning cauliflower into couscous for a while now. I saw it mentioned on a blog somewhere some time ago, and I thought it was so neat.
This recipe is so fast, it's done in maybe ten or fifteen minutes, depending on your prep speed.

Ingredients:
1 small head cauliflower, washed and cut into small florets.
2 small to medium sized carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 small butternut squash, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
small handful baby spinach leaves, cut into small squares
garlic powder
salt
ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
cinnamon
nutmeg
coriander
olive oil

Directions:
In a food processor, blitz cauliflower for a few pulses until the pieces are small and resemble couscous.
In a small pot, boil diced carrots and butternut squash in a small amount of water for 5-10 minutes, until soft. Drain, stir in a small amount of olive oil, nutmeg, coriander, and cinnamon, enough to coat.
In a large skillet or wok, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium-low to medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about twenty seconds. Add cauliflower and spread out evenly over cooking surface. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and stir.
Stir couscous occasionally until warmed through. Add carrots and squash and stir in, allowing them to reheat. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, less than a minute.

Super simple, right? This can be served as is, or with shrimp or other protein. In this case, I chose the shrimp because I had a hankering for seafood. I just fried those up in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Finish with a small knob of butter when they're cooked through.

Notes:
I have a super small processor, so I actually had to blitz the cauliflower in batches. Make sure not to overstuff your processor, or you'll end up with tiny bits on the bottom and unblitzed cauliflower on the top.
Cauliflower couscous is as versatile as the regular kind! Add pine nuts, broccoli, onions -- whatever you can think of!
I like to heat my "couscous" in the wok because I like the warmth of the cauliflower with the rest of this dish. I've read some blogs that keep it raw, and some that boil it for a minute or two to soften it up. Prepare it in whatever way suits your taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment